Meet Dan Hartley, his daughter Bri, and McCall!
In this Community Spotlight meet Dan Hartley and learn about his new multi-year fundrasising and awareness event – Miles for McCall!
Dan Hartley is a 49-year-old, US Navy Veteran and business owner, who is a former semi-professional ultra-runner who has competed in numerous ultramarathons and 100-mile races. Having converted to competitive ultra-cycling in 2020, Dan has a full schedule of 24 hour and 500+ mile races on the 2022 and 2023 race calendar in preparation for the world’s toughest bicycle race, Race Across America, in 2024!
Dan has worked with McCall’s mother Nicole for the last several years as she and her family have become his extended family. “McCall’s diagnosis has been heartbreaking and has opened my eyes to a rare disease that affects so many children and families throughout the world,” said Dan. “Training for and racing in such high profile, international events like Race Across America and the World Time Trial Championships is a perfect platform for me to raise awareness and much needed funds for a cause that has hit so close to home.” Dan’s ongoing efforts will immediately support research for treatments and a cure for years to come through DSF. This will directly impact not only McCall, but others like her who are living with Dravet syndrome every day.
DSF encourages the Dravet community to show their support of Dan on his cycling journey! You can:
- Watch for updates on Dan and Miles for McCall on our website at www.milesformccall.org.
- Follow Dan on Facebook and Instagram and share his updates using the hashtags: #MilesforMcCall, #RaceAcrossAmerica, #CyclingforaCure, #RideforResearchDravet, #RidesforResearch.
- Keep up with Dan’s training on Strava.
- Check Dan’s qualifying race schedule for an opportunity to show your support in person. He hopes to meet other Dravet families at races and through the course of his training.
- Make a donation to the Miles for McCall Campaign in support of the Dravet Syndrome Foundation.
Thanks to Dan’s initiative, DSF is working on our new Cycling for a Cure fundraising program. Stay tuned for more details this fall or email Misty with questions on how you can get involved.